College and Career Readiness
The Algoma School District strives to be at the forefront of the ever-changing world and the increasing demands of the 21st-century workforce. Students should graduate from high school fully prepared for college and careers.
Academically, college and career readiness means that a high school graduate has the knowledge and skills in English and Mathematics necessary to qualify for and succeed in entry-level, postsecondary coursework or postsecondary job training without the need for remediation. A rigorous and broad curriculum, grounded in the core academic disciplines is a must, along with other subjects that are part of a well-rounded education.
University of Wisconsin System
- UW > Help: UW HELP (the University of Wisconsin System’s Higher Education Location Program) is a unit of UW-Extension that provides a service for the UW System. It builds access to the 26 campuses in the UW System and UW-Extension in a variety of ways.
- UW Application: University of Wisconsin Application for Undergraduate, Graduate School, International and Special Student Admissions. Apply online or gain access to a downloadable form. The site includes instructions, answers to frequently asked questions and how to contact them if you need help. This application is good for all the schools within the UW system.
- Fall 2019 Application Essays: UW System campuses share one common essay. Several of the campuses will have an additional essay that you will need to respond too.
- Your 2019 Guide To The College Process From UW Help: 2018-19 University of Wisconsin application process including tuition and scholarship deadlines.
Wisconsin Technical Colleges
- Wisconsin Technical Colleges: With over 300 career programs offered, graduates of Wisconsin’s technical colleges get the education and training that provides skills to compete in today’s competitive technical job market .
The WisTech site includes everything from a career interest questionnaire to an online application.
Wisconsin Private Colleges
- Wisconsin Private Colleges: A directory of private colleges in Wisconsin including, statistics, contact information, programs offered, financial outline, application deadlines and more.
- Peterson’s: Your complete guide to college planning including step-by-step timelines, entrance essay assistance, college search and more.
- ACT Student: Information about the ACT: On-line application, testing centers available, registration requirements/directions, sample test questions, and score reporting facts.
- College Board: Testing requirements, deadlines and submission information for: PSAT/NMSQT (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test), SAT, College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Advanced Placement (AP). Related college planning resources including entrance essay assistance.
- Know How 2 GO Wisconsin: Encourages 8th through 10th graders to prepare for college using four simple steps. Includes timelines to help students be prepared for college testing and the application process.
College Admission Information
- Common Application: http://www.commonapp.org/
- UW System Information and Online application: http://uwhelp.wisconsin.edu/
- Information for UW System Placement Testing: https://testing.wisc.edu/
- WI Private Colleges Information and Online Application: http://www.wisconsinsprivatecolleges.org/
- Wisconsin Technical Colleges System Information and How to Apply Online: http://www.wtcsystem.edu/
General Post-Secondary/Post-Graduation Information
- College Possible Information: http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Adult-Learner-Services.aspx
- College Information/Making the College Dream Come True: http://knowhow2gowisconsin.org/
- NCAA Clearinghouse/College-Bound Athletes: http://web3.ncaa.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA.jsp
- Selective Service Information: https://www.sss.gov/
- College Planning and Student Debt Information: http://lookforwardwi.gov/